File deletion problem

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Fri Sep 19 18:23:14 PDT 2003

I have a situation that I have not been able to track down where on one
of my servers some process is writing a log file (I presume) and it is
getting rotated out from under it.  The net result is that the log
continues to be written to the original file which eventually is
deleted thus leaving no trace of who or what.  It takes several months
before its size becomes noticable, but eventually get grows to consume
remaining disk space.  Given that the file has an inode but no
directory entry, how do you find it?  All I have been able to come up
with is to use fstat to find all the open files inodes and then to
search with ls for each by hand and removing those I can find.
Unfortunately this is a large web server with lots of files.

Today I moved some of the log files onto a different disk to see if the
problem moves.  That would narrow down the search considerably.  But I
suspect I will have to wait a couple months before I can see the
effects of the hidden file.