fBSD5.1 and pam-mysql troubles

Joe Lewis joe at relia.net
Fri Sep 19 11:56:43 PDT 2003

Ladies and Gents;

I've got the following problem.  I installed PAM on my 5.1R version of
FreeBSD.  The modules are all stored in /usr/lib as /usr/lib/pam_*.so.2,
with a /usr/lib/pam_*.so as a symlink to the original (from default
port).  I've also installed the pam_mysql.so from the port with
pam_mysql-0.5 as the source.

I installed the config file for login only to prevent messing something
up.  When I try to login, I get an error in the /var/log/messages syslog
that reads, pardon my lack of memory, that it cannot find the pam
module.  It is in the same place as the other modules, with the exact
permissions, symlinks, and everything (the install put it in the wrong
place).  But I still get the error messages about not finding the module.

My question (may lead to a solution) : is the pam port linked to
statically?  Dynamically?  (Statically would mean I now have to
recompile it with some modifications, right?)

Joe