ncftp3 and FreeBSD 4.9 Pre Release (via 4 stable)

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Thu Sep 18 17:59:36 PDT 2003

I've been having problems with ncftp3 core dumping when issuing an ls
command.  Two things have changed since the last time I tried to use
it... one I setup a firewall with ipfw and two i upgraded to 4 stable.

I ran a buildkernel and buildworld today on the machine..  here's the
uname output:

uname -a
FreeBSD ns2.foolishgames.net 4.9-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE #3:
Thu Sep 18 10:54:20 PDT 2003
laffer1 at ns2.foolishgames.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ns2  i386

Any ideas what could be the problem?  I tried disabling the firewall
and it still core dumped.  I first noticed it on sendmail.org's ftp,
and tried it on my own as well.  Looking at the core dump file, it
complains about writing to a file, there is an error with a call to
getline(), and a buffer overflow writing the history file.

Did anything change in the c libraries in 4.9 that could cause this?  I
did tried uninstalling the part and recompiling it.

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)