mysql error and phpmyadmin how-to

Shawn Guillemette shawn at guillemette.org
Thu Sep 18 17:57:54 PDT 2003

 get the following error when trying to log in to mysql as root like so ..

# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)

I'm issuing this command as root.

Also as root I have attempted to change the passwd..

# mysqladmin -u root password newpassword
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed

mysql version --> mysql-server-3.23.55 Multithreaded SQL database (server)

Also Looking for a good how-to on phpmyadmin..

    I installed from the ports collection (phpMyAdmin-2.3.2) Just not sure what direction to head in now..

Thanks for your time..

Shawn