Patching source in a port

Jamie jamie at gnulife.org
Thu Sep 18 11:58:13 PDT 2003

   Is it possible to patch the source code in a port, and then make, make
install again to get it to install the patched code? I tried applying the
sendmail patch. I had previously installed Sendmail 8.12.9 from ports.

This is basically what I did:

cd /usr/ports/mail/sendmail-sasl/work/sendmail-8.9.12/sendmail

patch < /path/to/patch

-patch confirms that it went successfully.

-I also edited version.c and changed the version number.

cd ../../../

make PREFIX=/usr
make PREFIX=/usr install

  But the patch doesn't seem to be taking effect. After restarting
sendmail I:

sendmail -bt -d0.11 < /dev/null

 and it tells me that it is still version 8.12.9.

 Am I doing something obviously wrong? The compilation seemed to run
successfully.

    - Jamie

"A friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself."