Network Problem on FreeBSD-4.8 : Cannot ping LAN hosts

Edwin D. Vinas edwin_vinas at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 09:06:21 PDT 2003

Hi,

I've stumbling with all the mailing lists about this problem and I hope somebody will give a kind advise. Here's my LAN setup:
|               |              |            |              |
WinXP1  WinXP2   WinXP3   WinXP4   FreeBSD

WinXP3 is my Internet Sharing Machine connected to my ISP.
I can browse the web using all the WinXPs but I cannot access the web via FreeBSD.
FreeBSD's IP address follows the 192.198.0.x format just like the other WinXPs.
When I check the FreeBSD, i can see its IP address and Subnet Mask etc via "ifconfig".
I can even change the IP address+ Gateway (which is WinXP2's IP add) using
ifconfig or /stand/sysinstall. I even manually edited rc.conf, and even changed the
setting to DHCP etc etc etc.

My diagnosis tells that I cannot ping any WinXP machine in the LAN. But I can ping myself (FreeBSD) locally. When I run "netstat -rn", It seems the network card is ok.
When I run "tcpdump", I didn't show any output. By the way, this network card is CNet PRO200. I was thinking it was not recognize or supported by the FreeBSD-4.8. When I checked "FreeBSD-4.8's Hardware Compatibility Lit", I didn't see any "CNet PRO200" but I saw a "CNet/PRO" which I suppose are just the same. So, I recompiled my Kernel again just in case FreeBSD didn't recognize this newly installed Cnet LAN card. But, nothing changed after Kernel recompilation. (But I did not change any option in the Generic kernel; just re-compiled it).

The output when I ping WinXP3: "ping: sendto: Host is down".
It's not true coz Im typing this email right in the WinXP3 machine. I cannot also ping FreeBSD's  IP add from the WinXP internet sharing server. The dmesg shows the following: pci0 <unknown card> (vendor=0x1106 dev=0x3059) at 17.5 irq 5.

By the way, this machine where FreeBSD is installed also has WinXP which works fine when in Windows. So Im sure my LAN card is really ok. It's only a problem of FreeBSD.

What should I do? I don't want to make FreeBSD machine as my Internet sharing server as of now (although its the best option). Im testing/running a Unix program that needs to be connected to the Internet via Windows XP gateway.

Please help me make my FreeBSD be part of my LAN....

-Edwin

best regards,

\___\__\_______/__/ Edwin D. Viñas http://edwin.ontheweb.com
 \___\__\_____/__/  Electronics and Communications Engineer