Boot timeout?

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Wed Sep 17 08:22:05 PDT 2003

> > > detection,
> > >
> > > Are you using ATAPICAM?  If so, it's probably the SCSI settling.
> > > That's adjustable in the kernel configuration.
> >
> > The string 'atapicam' does not appear in my
> > /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/CUSTOM customized kernel config
> file.  Is that
> > what you meant?  I did find that string in LINT, but I'm
> not using it.
> >
> > I may have misled you in my post.  What I should have said is, the
> > system hangs for about 20 seconds at the BIOS drive
> detection, and then
> > there is another 20 second delay when FBSD is detecting
> devices, *after*
> > it displays the line about finding the atapi controller.
> It displays
> > that line concerning the atapi controller, issues 2 cr/lf
> and pauses for
> > that 20 seconds.  It then continues to load without error,
> all devices
> > are detected properly and I can read and write to them.
> >
> > I really think this delay may be more related to hardware
> than software.
> > I just booted the system to an MS-DOS diskette, and the
> delay is still
> > there.  I have no special settings in BIOS.
> >
> > BTW: I've also posted this to alt.comp.hardware.  No joy yet.
>
> Hi,
>
> I also think the delay is hardware related. The most common
> reason would
> be if a drive was jumpered incorrectly, eg. if the drive is
> set as slave
> but there is no master drive, or the master drive is set with slave
> drive present when there is no slave drive.
>
> So the BIOS waits for a response from an unavailable drive or
> until the
> time-out period is reached.
>
> In your original post you mentioned the 2Gb was set as
> master, then you
> connected it as secondary-slave. You would need to change jumper
> settings to reflect this.

Yes, I changed the jumper.
I will check the Western Digital (I HATE them) web site for up-to-date
info on jumper settings for that drive, and try different settings
myself, but I think I have it correct to begin with.

The key on the drive itself says to set it this way for master:
::::.
   ^
Where . Is the key pin, so you don't get it upside down.