firewall

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Wed Sep 17 02:22:34 PDT 2003

In the continuing saga of my firewall configuration...

One kind member of this list suggested I must compile this into my
kernel:

    options IPDIVERT

So I did that, and it made a difference though it didn't solve the
problem. Previously, whenever I started ppp, if I attempted to ping I
would get this error message:

bob at sonic:~> ping slashdot.org
 ping: cannot resolve slashdot.org: Host name lookup failure

Now when I ping, I get no response - no error messages, but no other
feedback. I think this is an improvement, but something is still
preventing me from getting a response from ppp.

To reiterate, this is everything I've done so far:

FROM /etc/rc.conf:

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
firewall_type="simple"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="ppp0"

FROM /etc/rc.firewall:

# set these to your outside interface network and netmask and ip
oif="ppp0"
onet="168.95.0.0"
omask="255.255.255.255"
oip="168.95.0.0"

# set these to your inside interface network and netmask and ip
iif="vr0"
inet="192.168.0.0"
imask="255.255.255.0"
iip="192.168.0.2"

Kernel recompile:
    options IPDIVERT

CONTENT OF /etc/hosts:
#
::1			localhost localhost.utopia.com
127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.utopia.com
#
192.168.0.3	ibm.utopia.com	ibm
192.168.0.2	sonic.utopia.com	sonic
192.168.0.1	pro.utopia.com	pro

I also used sysinstall to designate this machine as a gateway. Was that
the right thing to do?

thanks for all the advice so far,
still hoping,
Robert