Courier IMAPd and UW IMAPd Very Slow

Nick Rogness nick at rogness.net
Tue Sep 16 21:06:18 PDT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Jason L. Schwab wrote:

> Heya Folks;
>
> 	I've been looking into setting up IMAPd support
> 	on my mail servers, and i got it working with
> 	both UW and Courier, but both seem to take way
> 	to long (upwards of minutes) to login and fetch
> 	my mail. (like 10 messages) on the test acct.

	I would not blame the software so quickly.  We run imap-uw on very
	heavily loaded boxes and rarely see problems with it.  Sure it's
	not the fastest but minutes of wait?  No.  I would suggest looking
	at:

	1) DNS issues (resolution issues)
	2) If it's login related checking into PAM issues (DB issues)
	3) Check network problems (Duplex mismatch? Congestion?)
	4) Check hardware problems (Disk especially)

Nick Rogness <nick at rogness.net>
-
  How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.
  				-Emo Philips