ghostscript-gnu distfile checksum error - WORKAROUND (was: Stop error installing /usr/ports/mail/evolution)

Barry Hawkins barryhawkins at mac.com
Tue Sep 16 14:00:38 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 12:12 US/Eastern, Barry C.Hawkins wrote:

> Hello all,
> 	I encountered the following error when installing the port for
> evolution on two 5.1 installations:
>
> # cd /usr/ports/mail/evolution
> # sudo make install
> fetch: Samsung-SmartGDI-all-GS.tar.gz: local modification time does
> not match remote
> >> Couldn't fetch it - please try to receive this
> >> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ghostscript and try again.
> *** Error code 1
> Stop in /usr/ports/mail/evolution.
>
> 	I am wondering where I should try to get this archive.  If I have
> committed some common faux pas that is causing this issue, also feel
> free to enlighten me.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --
> Barry C. Hawkins
> All Things Computed
> site: www.allthingscomputed.com/
> weblog: www.allthingscomputed.com/blog/

BSDers,
	My own research via Google showed several places I could try to
download the problematic Samsung-SmartGDI-all-GS.tar.gz.  After
downloading the file in question several times from different
locations, including the FreeBSD ftp archives, I continued to receive
the same messages regarding checksum failures.
	I came across one person's workaround, and was able to use that
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2003-July/
002738.html>.  However, there are several old postings in various
newsgroups about this problem, some dating back to October 2002.  Why
hasn't this MD5 checksum issue been corrected yet?  Is there another
dependent issue that justifies not fixing this?	Here are some of the
postings I have seen so far:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2003-July/002704.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2003-July/002705.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2003-July/002706.html