Upgrading sshd?

Dragoncrest dragoncrest at voyager.net
Tue Sep 16 12:03:54 PDT 2003

         What I had to do to make this work was build OpenSSH 3.6.1 by
hand, install it which puts it in /usr/local/sbin/sshd then test it.  I
fired up the new one on port 2000 and tested it there.  When I could prove
that worked I killed the process running on port 22, copied sshd to
sshd.3.5p1 (just in case something goes bad you still have the old version)
then copied sshd from /usr/local/sbin/ to /usr/sbin/, restarted the sshd on
port 22, then tested that.  Once I was happy that all was working right I
killed the one on port 2000 and I was all set.  Seemed to work like a charm.

         Maybe a little overly cautious on my part, but since I was doing
the upgrade via ssh I didn't feel like cutting myself off by accident then
having to drive 30 miles into work to console in and fix the
problem.  Believe me, I've done it before.  :)