Slow NAT firewall

Lay Tay LTay at certicom.com
Tue Sep 16 11:50:45 PDT 2003

Hello,

Thanks.  You're right, Raphael replied and was right-on.  My sshd was doing
reverse DNS lookup and my firewall was preventing that.  I used the "-u0"
option in the sshd startup and the problem went away.

Regards,

Lay Boon.

             Chuck Swiger
             <cswiger at mac.com>
             owner-freebsd-que         Lay Tay <LTay at certicom.com>
             stions at freebsd.or                                          cc
             g                         freebsd-questions at FreeBSD.ORG
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Slow NAT firewall
             09/16/2003 09:47
             AM

Lay Tay wrote:
[ ... ]
> Everything worked fine except that I noticed ssh connection takes a very
> long time.  When I use PUTTY or WinSCP on a windows machine to connect to
> my internal machine, the authentication takes a very long time.  WinSCP
> will alway timeout on the first try, when  I hit "retry", the
> authentication goes through.
>
> This does not happen if I insert a "pass everything" rule in ipfw.

Sounds a lot like a DNS timeout.  I'm not sure your rules for port 53 are
doing
exactly the right thing; where does DNS traffic go when you do this SSH
connection?

--
-Chuck