PNP Crystal soundcard detection problem in 5.1Release

Greg Lane greg.lane at internode.on.net
Tue Sep 16 03:55:28 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 03:32:35PM +0300, Roman Malytskyy <zorehid at ua.fm> wrote:
> Hello,

G'day,

> I am having problem with initializing my PnP Crystal soundcard on DellLatitude
> CPi notebook under FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE

I have a CPi D266XT running 5-current.

> Windows detected it as CS4236/37/38 chipset card, irq 5 dma 1,0

Mine is detected as a CS 4237B under windows with the same values.

> When I add to kernel konfiguration (according to handbook advise for my cardtype)
> device pcm
> device csa

I never got it to work with "device csa", but in
the distant past running 4-stable my sound had worked with

options PNPBIOS
device pcm

Then it stopped working for a while. I've never managed to
get it working with only "device pcm" again. But now I am
running 5-current with the following

device pcm
device sbc

and my card is found as a soundblaster pro.  See dmesg extract:

sbc0: <SoundBlaster Pro> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa0
pcm0: <SB DSP 3.02> on sbc0

and

5>glane at nucnb2:~$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <SB DSP 3.02> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 bufsz 4096 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)

Everything works great. So give this a go and see what happens.

Cheers,
Greg