Rebuilding the Kernel

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 15 13:15:13 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 07:53:36PM +0000, Mark Luxton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to FreeBSD and this is my first attempt at building a kernel.
>
> I would like to know if I am going about it the right way (and some help on
> an error message that appears).
>
> Below are the steps that I am currently taking.  I am following the steps
> in the Handbook (Cutting Edge & Building and Installing a custom Kernel).
>
>    Run CVSup and updated my source tree
>    Run make buildworld
>    Run make installworld
>    Copy GENERIC to MYKERNEL
>    Edit MYKERNEL
>    Run make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
>    Run make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
>
> Everything works fine upto make buildkernel.  If I run this, even on an
> uneditted copy of GENERIC, I get an error saying:
>
>    make: don't know how to make uart_bus_pccard.c. Stop
>    *** Error code 2 ***
>
> I've entered the error into Google, but it returned no items and I'm at a
> loss (which isn't difficult).
>
> Any ideas on what it's talking about?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Mark

Not sure about your specific error, but it doesn't appear that you are
following the directions in the correct order.  I think it should look
more like:

1) update sources
2) make buildworld
3) edit kernel config file
4) make buildkernel
5) make installkernel
6) reboot
7) rm -rf /usr/obj/*
8) make installworld
9) mergemaster

I've left out some intervening steps, but I think that this is more the
correct order of operations.

Nathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49