Securing the FreeBSD Console by removing OS Version

Ray Seals rseals at vdsi.net
Mon Sep 15 13:12:45 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 13:48, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> You realise that if someone can log in to the system they can
> trivially discover the OS and OS version by querying the kernel?  As a
> "security measure" this change has zero benefit.

Yes, uname -a will do the trick.  Here is what I wanted.  I did not want the version to pop up on the console after boot.

So I added the clear command to the /etc/issue.  So, I want the console to look like this after the system is up and booted:

security mumbo jumbo

Login:

Ray Seals <rseals at vdsi.net>