trouble with kernel

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Mon Sep 15 07:10:14 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:54:46AM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> "george" <george at vagner.com> writes:
>
> > why is it that we have had sound cards on computers for practically
> > 20 years yet device pcm is not compiled into the default kernel.?
>
> Because it's not needed to actually accomplish the install.  And it
> doesn't have to be compiled into the kernel -- the driver can be
> loaded just as well at any time after the system has booted.  So
> there's no reason for it to be in the kernel.

Actually this isn't true - the install kernel differs from GENERIC.

> > would it make a huge difference in speed if someone didnt have a sound card?
>
> None at all.  However, it would make some difference in kernel size,
> which is important at install time because we still need to support
> booting into the install from a floppy.

Which uses a different kernel because GENERIC doesn't fit.

The issue of including pcm by default is tough because FreeBSD is used
mostly for servers, and they don't care about sound. On the other hand
modern servers (certainly those that can run FreeBSD 5.x) don't care
if the device is compiled in the kernel, because they can spare the +- 100k
(gross estimate) of unused kernel memory.

If you care enough, bring it up on -hackers, but expect a nice bikeshed
to be built for you :)

--Stijn

--
I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it.
		-- Edgar Allan Poe