4.8 Install for Web Server

Dustin Puryear dpuryear at usa.net
Sun Sep 14 20:57:01 PDT 2003

At 08:07 PM 9/14/2003 -0500, Chris wrote:
>Any pointers or suggestions on a fresh install of 4.8, when the box will
>be used for a web server running in a handful of jails? It has 80gig HD,
>so one of the issues I'm inquiring about is a good partitioning scheme.

Just create a typical partitioning scheme for a web server, and keep the
location of the logs and swap close to or at the outside of your disk.
Going from the outside of the disk inward, you would have: / (small), swap,
/www-jails, and so on. If you are going to have some heavy sites consider
two disks: one for system and web content files and the other for access
logs. You may want to look into turning off access time updates on your web
content and log files.

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin at puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology, LLC <http://www.puryear-it.com>
Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.