Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device busy ?

Rob Lahaye lahaye at snu.ac.kr
Sun Sep 14 16:56:19 PDT 2003

Hi,

How can I find out which app. keeps /dev/dsp busy?

Without any other sound application running, I got this message when
starting mplayer or realaudio. Somehow the system got muddled up.

After some random trial and error, I finally discovered that everything
came back to normal when I killed xscreensaver.
So for some reason xscreensaver kept /dev/dsp busy.

Is there a command to find out directly which app. keeps /dev/dsp busy?

Thanks,
Rob.