procmail filtering replacement w/ cyrus

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Sep 14 08:20:50 PDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 01:32:33PM +0200, dick hoogendijk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I used to run procmail as my local mailer (w/ sendmail as MTU). The .procmailrc filters the incoming mail into separate folders.
>
> Now I've changed to cyrus-imapd and no longer use procmail. Cyrus has it's own local mailer (cyrdeliver). That's fine with me, bu now all mail is droped into the INBOX. The only way to filter it is through an mailclient running under X.
>
> Does someone know of a good way to filter my incoming mail _not_ only to user.xxx but to his/her other (imap) mailboxes as well?
>
> I was rather font of using mutt on the cli (which is much more complicated w/ imap) but losing my  sorted filtered mailboxes does not make me happy.
>
> If filtering does not exist I think I'll go back to QPopper (pop3) and sendmail/procmail.

Actually, this is quite a popular topic on the FreeBSD lists.  A few
moments searching a http://freebsd.rambler.ru/ will get you such handy
messages as:

    http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-questions_2003/msg11082.html

or

    http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-isp_2001/msg01947.html

or

    http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-chat_2002/msg01762.html

But note that Cyrus deliver has a built in 'sieve' function which will
do a lot of what procmail does, and it has a remote interface which is
handy when you want to set up a mail server box without giving login
accounts to all of your mail users.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way