Not quite mail relay

Derrick Ryalls ryallsd at datasphereweb.com
Sat Sep 13 17:10:28 PDT 2003

> D> Ex.
>
> D> To: blah at msn.com
> D> From: fake at hotmail.com
>
> D> hotmail ends up with a ton of bounce msgs
>
> Bounces are a normal part of email life.
>
> D>  and thinks the server is a relay.
>
> No they don't. Email admims look at the last sender IP
> address in the headers, which is the only valid address, all
> others are usually forged.

What I am referring to is the unable to deliver email that qmail sends
to hotmail has an unknown user.  Hotmail then bounces the mail back to
my brother's server as an undeliverable, and since it is then a double
bounce, it lands in my brother's inbox (mailer-daemon goes to him).
Today, he has received over 6000 bounced msgs.

> D> Qmail is the mail server, but I was hoping someone would have an
> D> idea.
>
> Yes, but you have to provide more info rather than speculate
> on what you are having  a problem with.  Are you an open
> relay? Check your logs? If so, something is not configured
> properly.  If you are just getting bounces from your own
> domain, and someone is forging your domain as the sender or
> return address in their spam, that is called a Joe-Job.

In the /var/qmail/control, only his domains are listed.  In tcp.rules,
only localhost can relay email.  Normal clients can only send mail with
SMTP-ATUH.