Newbie needs advice for software raid

Tom Munro Glass gentoo at tmgcon.com
Sat Sep 13 15:03:47 PDT 2003

I'm considering buying a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC with 3 SCSI drives (no hardware
raid) for use as a file, print, database, email/groupware and intranet
server. I'm also considering whether to use Linux or FreeBSD - I have some
experience with both but have never used software raid on either. I feel that
FreeBSD would be a more stable and secure OS for a server.

From my research so far, it seems that I can use Vinum to set up software RAID
5, but that the root partition can not be RAID 5 and that there are other
complexities with using Vinum on the root partition.

I would welcome suggestions for how to set up the disk partitions and Vinum
for this type of server. Also, should I be looking at FreeBSD 5.1 or would
4.8 be a safer bet at this stage?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Munro Glass