TCP/IP: Operation Timed Out

yo _ exhausted01 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 13 13:51:41 PDT 2003

Thank you for your help but after looking in to the problem, i realized it
is not the ident protocol.

>This could be a problem due to timeouts with the ident protocol, also
>known as auth, which uses port 113.  Most mailservers will try and do
>an ident check on you when you connect to them.  If your firewall just
>drops the incoming connection, then the server at the other end will
>just have to wait out the timeout period.  While ident is meant to be
>a security measure, it's practically worthless as it's too easy to lie
>to, and if you don't lie, then it's a leak of what should be private
>information.

I tried connecting the "un-connectable" servers via Windows and FreeBSD
using telnet at home and it works, and i am not running any sort of ident
server. Connecting to the servers where the mail server lives gives me the
"operation timed out" message under my MTA (not sendmail for note) as well
as Telnet, even after flushing all firewall rules. So i suspect my problem
lies elsewhere. Thank you for your concern though.
-Rian Hunter