smbmount problem

sebastian ssmoller sebastian.ssmoller at gmx.net
Sat Sep 13 09:05:52 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 15:04, Dancho Penev wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 11:22:57AM +0200, sebastian ssmoller wrote:
> >From: sebastian ssmoller <sebastian.ssmoller at gmx.net>
> >To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> >Date: 13 Sep 2003 11:22:57 +0200
> >Subject: smbmount problem
> >
> >hi,
> >i am running fbsd 5.1. when i try to mount a samba share on a debian
> >system i get :
> >smbfs: server name "x.y" too long
> >the server name is 16 chars long and i found out (looking at the
> >sources) that there is a limit of 15.
> >
> >my question: why is there such a limit? (i used this share from several
>
> In Windows world computer's NetBIOS names are limited to 15 bytes,
> so I suppose that the author of mount_smbfs is conform with that.
>
> >linux distros without any problem). does this mean i have to change the
> >hostname of the debian system (which could not be really a solution...)
>
> No, just use "netbios name" option in smb.conf, and attend name to be
> no more than 15 chars long.

i tried that but i found out that the netbios name in the smb.conf
(client and server) is already shorter than 15 chars.
the problem seems to be that the full qualified name hostname.domain (as
used in the mount command line and as returned by the nameserver) is
longer than 15 chars.  but this should be ok, shouldn't it ?

any ideas ?

thx
seb