/etc/fstab explain me please.....

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sat Sep 13 06:46:58 PDT 2003

On 09/13/03 11:11, Denis wrote:

>  I want to mount automatically my second disk drive which has Fat32
>  file system. Could you tell me what i must write in FSType section in
>  /etc/fstab??
>  Maybe "msdos" or "fat32"???

msdos is correct. Here's mine:

$ cat /etc/fstab
# See the fstab(5) manual page for important information on automatic mounts
# of network filesystems before modifying this file.
#
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/ad3s1              /mp3            msdos   rw              1       2
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

The drive called 'mp3' was mounted in a Windows box. Rather
than mess about with 40 gig of ripped CDs, I just put it straight
into this box and mounted it as shown.

- d.