nvidia kernel module ate my modem (!)

Richard Dymond richard at myrmidon.freeuk.com
Sat Sep 13 02:28:07 PDT 2003

OK, so here's the story. I'm running FreeBSD 5.1 on a PC, and I've just
compiled the nvidia kernel module so I can get the most out of my GeForce
card. I've got nvidia_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf, and I reboot. Log
in, startx, lovely nvidia splash screen. Hooray! Decide to dial up and
have a browse:

$ ppp -auto provider
Working in auto mode
Using interface: tun0

...and then: nothing. Computer hangs. No response to any keypress. Finger
embarks on sad journey to the reset button.

Chapter 2: Investigation. Had a fiddle with /etc/rc.conf and
/boot/loader.conf, and discovered that if I refrain from loading the
nvidia module at boot time, ppp works fine and dandy.

I suppose the best way to summarise the questions I have about this is:
WTF?

In longer form: Why would loading the nvidia kernel module mess up my
modem and/or ppp? These things are surely not related.

Incidentally, I still have the linux kernel module - which nvidia seems to
require - loaded, so I think we can cross that off the list of suspects.

Insights welcome.

Richard

P.S. In case it's relevant, the modem is a PCI hardware model sitting on
/dev/cuaa4, and the graphics card is a GeForce 2 MX.