Script doesn't complete via Cron

Jim jhorvath at frabill.com
Fri Sep 12 14:39:54 PDT 2003

I'm extremely new to scripted scp, so this may be idiotic:

Assuming you are using rsa or dsa public key authentication for the
transfer, you need to make sure the crontab was setup from the account of
the authenticated user.  Setting it up under root's crontab won't work - the
script will request a password to initiate the transfer and never receive a
response.

For example, I have an user account called "copy" created for scp transfers.
This user has an rsa key assigned and copied to each target server.  I then
set up a job using crontab -e from copy's account to initiate the transfer.
If I try the same job using root's crontab, it fails (timeout waiting for a
password response).

Hopefully that drivel made some sense.

Jim