How to add a disk to a new system without losing the data on it?

Dan Strick strick at covad.net
Fri Sep 12 14:04:26 PDT 2003

> How do I add a disk containing data to a new system without erasing
> that data.
>
> I searched the mailinglist and the documentation but could not find
> information
> for this scenario.
>
> The system in question is running 4.8
> The disk is coming from a 5.1 system and uses ufs with softupdates.
> The disk has one partition.

Would that be UFS1 with softupdates or UFS2 with softupdates?
I don't think FreeBSD 4.8 understands UFS2.  If you didn't specify UFS1
when you made the file system on FreeBSD 5.1, you got UFS2 format.

Otherwise the disk should just move.  (The MBR partition/slice table
and the FreeBSD disk-label/partition-table formats are the same.)

dan