make installworld in single user mode

zhao jennifer at tevn.com
Thu Sep 11 22:27:39 PDT 2003

Dear FreeBSD people

I have a question about "make"  command in single user mode.

When I am in the process of updating my FreeBSD4.3 release, I come to the
stage of
make installworld.
People said it is a good way to do it in a single user mode.
So I boot the system, and come to the point of 10 seconds counting, I press
space bar,
then then type "boot -s", coming into single mode, and the default shell is
/bin/sh , and I press enter, then I type
#make installworld
I got an error message
make: not found.

Under multi-user mode, I found "make " in /usr/bin, in this case, when I
come to single user mode, I should change the default shell of "/bin/sh " to
/usr/bin", and then issue command "make installworld", will that be the
right process?

Your precious advice will be highly appreciated

Jennifer