another newbie struggling with ppp/modem issues

Alex raindogs_1 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 22:07:56 PDT 2003

I'm having some trouble getting my modem up and
running on FreeBSD 4.8. A search through the mailing
list archives shows that many of the  problems I've
been wrestling with seem to have cropped up before,
yet I  haven't been able to follow any of the
discussion to a workable answer.

My modem is sitting on cuaa2 and I needed to
re-compile my kernel to  recognize that port. I did
this and everything went fine, although I am getting
the dreaded "sio5: configured irq 2 not in bitmap of
probed irqs 0" error which I haven't found a solution
for in any documentation or discussion.

Just for laughs, I went ahead and tried to contact the
 modem via ppp, but when I enter the "term" command I
get:

"Warning: deflink: /dev/cuaa2: Bad file descriptor
Failed to open /dev/cuaa2"

I am now officially stuck  and am entering a plea for
help.

The relevant lines from the kernel config file are
pasted below. This looks right to me, but if anyone
can think what I'm doing wrong (including RTFM
references)  I would be forever grateful.

Thanks,
Alex

# Serial (COM) ports
device		sio0	at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device		sio1	at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
device		sio2	at isa? port IO_COM3 irq 5
device		sio3	at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9