nforce2 (for the zillionth time, I should imagine)

John DeStefano deesto at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 11:02:31 PDT 2003

> On Wednesday 10 September 2003 06:25 pm, Lewis Thompson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I've just purchased a new machine (a micro-ATX machine) with an
> > nforce2 board.  After a little searching on Google/Groups it looks
> > still be pretty much unsupported.  Can anybody give a run-down of
> the
> > how each aspect is?  The board I have has onboard GeForce4 MX
> (which
> > know will work with the new drivers), onboard sound, onboard
> network
> > card, etc.  Any details would be appreciated.
> >
> >   Thanks very much,
> >
> > -lewiz.
>
> You could read the chapter in the FreeBSD Handbook for X Window
> System:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html
>
> Or you could get the driver from nVidia for FreeBSD, which can be
> found
>
> here:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_1.0-4365.html
>
> The list of supported cards is in the Linux README file, here:
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-4496/README.txt
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Andrew Gould

I've been looking for an answer for the nForce2 chipset for months in
various arenas, including on this list and on -net.  Nobody seems to
have an answer; in fact, one person's reply on this list was "good
luck".  The drivers to which Andrew refers above are for Linux, not
UNIX/BSD, and Linux emulation does not seem to do the trick.  You may
be able to get away with something on enabling some peripheral drivers
such as audio, but enabling the on-board NIC, which has been my main
concern, does not seem likely unless someone at nVidia works with a BSD
developer to port over the proper drivers.

I'd greatly welcome some updated information on these drivers as well,
if any is available.

~John