Installation problem

Alin-Adrian Anton aanton at reversedhell.net
Wed Sep 10 12:33:57 PDT 2003

James wrote:

>Hello,
>
>First and foremost i'm new to using FreeBSD, so forgive the newbie cry for
>help. But I do have experience on Linux, so know my way about a *nux
>environment.
>
>I'm currently trying to install version 5.0-CURRENT, my problem is that when
>I boot off of the CDROM, it starts loading fine, probes the hardware, then
>it comes up with the message:
>
>	ata0: resetting devices
>
>at which point it hangs. I have disabled the loading of ACPI drivers as
>explained in the install.txt file, but this alas has not helped.
>
>My hardware is as follows:
>	Asus P4SC-E motherboard
>	Intel CPU
>	Seagate Barracuda HDD
>	and Acer CDRW drive.
>
>Can anyone please provide some insite into my problem and perhaps also
>additional resource locations.
>

>Many thanks
>
>-James

I suspect your Acer CDRW drive is the problem. Try to disable it's
detection from BIOS, FreeBSD will detect it anyway.

I had the same problem with a SONY CDRW, and disabling BIOS detection
worked fine with FreeBSD 4.x, but NOT with 5.x . Try that solution with
4.x, and if it works, you know that's the problem. I dont know how to
handle it in 5.x unless fixing the kernel.

Alin.