www/mod_jk2 port problem with www/apache2 port

Eugene Lee eugene at fsck.net
Tue Sep 9 11:43:49 PDT 2003

FreeBSD-RELEASE-4.8-p3

I've run into a problem with the ports versions of mod_jk2 and apache2.
Now apache2 is built without thread support disabled, but mod_jk2 is
built to use pthreads.  Both run through make and make install cleanly
without any problems.  But when I try to start up Apache, I get the
obvious error:

	Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache2/mod_jk.so into server: /usr/local/libexec/apache2/mod_jk.so: Undefined symbol "pthread_mutex_unlock"

The official mod_jk2 docs says nothing about building the module without
thread support.  The apache2 docs confirm that:

	* If you are building on FreeBSD, be aware that threads will
	  be disabled and the prefork MPM will be used by default,
	  as threads do not work well with Apache on FreeBSD.  If
	  you wish to try a threaded Apache on FreeBSD anyway, use
	  "./configure --enable-threads".

So is it even possible to compile mod_jk2 without threads?  Or should I
just bite the bullet and build apache2 with threads enabled on the box?
Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

(CC'd to both ports' maintainers)

--
Eugene Lee
eugene at fsck dot net