Empty AUTH=<> in SMTP from Mutt message causing refused mail

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Mon Sep 8 16:39:11 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 02:20:11PM -0500, Gary wrote:
> Here is what I am thinking... 1. You mentioned you can send via other
> MUAs, pine, etc, so I am inclined to think that your SMTP auth is set up
> properly in Sendmail... 2. Given this, I still think it could be a Mutt
> problem.. I think you are getting a null Auth return because Mutt is not
> sending your password in order to auth the SMTP transaction, and it is
> getting bounced.

The only confusing thing there is that Mutt doesn't do anything to
authenticate to SMTP; neither does Pine or any other mailer we use.
Initially I wanted to set that up, but as things are now, we don't use
that.  You could still be right; I must be overlooking something.

> the only other thing I can think of, to rule out Sendmail as a cause, is
> to log the entire SMTP transaction, say using Pine and Mutt with your
> problem server.

Here's a sample of that, from Mutt.  I replaced the company name in
the banner with [companyName].

220 webshielde250.[companyName] WebShielde250/SMTP Ready.
EHLO kirk.dlee.org
250-DSN
250-AUTH LOGIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN
250 ESMTP OK
MAIL From:<dgl at dlee.org> AUTH=<>
501 Syntax error - badly formatted address
quit
221 Closing connection

The only difference from Pine is the " AUTH=<>" at the end of "MAIL
From:" is not there, and it works...

--
Doug Lee           dgl at dlee.org        http://www.dlee.org
Bartimaeus Group   doug at bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com