FreeBSD install corrupts neighboring partitions

Raphaël Marmier raphael at computer-rental.ch
Mon Sep 8 16:09:42 PDT 2003

Le Lundi, 8 sep 2003, à 22:01 Europe/Zurich, Jud a écrit :

--snip--
>  Once you've installed FreeBSD, if you
> can't boot back into Windows, use the Windows tools to restore the
> familiar Win MBR: for 9x, boot from the emergency floppy and run fdisk
> /mbr; for more recent versions, boot from CD into console repair mode
> and
> run fixboot and fixmbr.

In my case, I think I could mount the windows partition only from
linux. I couldn't read it with a dos disk (same w98 se). So I thought
that it was some kind of incompatibility between the way FreeBSD/Linux
and Windows recognized the drive's geometry. Installing freeBSD would
change something in subtil way in the partition table that would
confuse windows' boot loader. I did fdisk /mbr, sys c:, etc... to no
avail.
Finally, installing windows in second solved the issue. I never really
understood what happened though.

I have to mention the windows partition was not the first primary
partition (well, ok, slice in BSDspeak).

Raphaël