linux_base

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Mon Sep 8 13:20:52 PDT 2003

Scott Ballantyne <sdb at ssr.com> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com> writes:
> >
> > Scott Ballantyne <sdb at ssr.com> writes:
> >
> > > If I'm running multi-user (as toor), the build stops when installing
> > > glibc. In linux_base, there's actually a coredump, in linux_base-8, it
> > > just stops. This happens even running the GENERIC kernel (I had
> > > previously thought it was perhaps related to a custom kernel).
> > >
> > > However, if I drop to single user mode, and make install, it
> > > completes, although I get many of the following error messages
> > > intended for syslogd:
> > >
> > > linux: syscall mmap2 (obsolete or not implemented (pid = xxxx)
> >
> > What version of FreeBSD?
> > Do you have linux(8) running when you try the install?
> >

> Sorry, I should have included this: FreeBSD 4.8-p3. Linux.ko isn't
> running. For various reasons, I needed to compile the kernel with it
> included.

linux.ko is the kernel module; you do need that, but for linux
emulation you also need linux(8).  Enabling it by default can be done
by setting linux_enable in rc.conf(5).

I'm not sure if you need the linux emulation running to install
linux_base, and if you do need it the port should probably start it by
itself, but it should be easy to check.