FreeBSD 5.1 Installation Problem

Reinhart Steyaert reinhart_steyaert at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 8 10:48:20 PDT 2003

Hi,

I want to install FreeBSD 5.1 but have the following problem: during the
installation, you have to choose "Installation Media." I choose the first
option, 'install from a CD/DVD', but get the message "Cannot find CD/DVD
devices..." (or something like that). But I can boot from the CD (it's a
Mitsumi ATAPI CD-ROM, not a DVD). The module cd9660 seems to be loaded. When
I choose "Floppy..." in the Installation Media menu, I also get the message
"Cannot find floppy devices..." So, FreeBSD recognizes the CD-ROM drive, but
it seems to forget those devices at a certain point. I was able, years ago,
to install FreeBSD 3.2.

Wattoodoo?

-R.