how to check which COM port modem is connected to?

Raphaël Marmier raphael at computer-rental.ch
Mon Sep 8 05:17:37 PDT 2003

Le Lundi, 8 sep 2003, à 14:04 Europe/Zurich, Ramanan Selvaratnam a
écrit :

>> --- Alex Zivenko <twistfire at rambler.ru> wrote: > You
>> must know it.
>>
>>> In windows name of port is comx
>>> in Unix - /dev/cuax-1
>>> com1 - cua0, com2-cua1, com3 - cua2
>>> Have you win on this PC? Then you can see there.
>>>
> What would be helpful to know (for future) is where one can find this
> detail on MS Windows filesystem once mounted from within a free > system.
> Any clues?

You're not going to like it: AFAIK this is stored in the registery. But
you can imagine having a dump of the proper keys done on windows exit
(to a flat file). Under windows 2000, you would run that as a logoff
script (group policies in the mmc). Under windows 9x, I don't know. I
don't know if regedit can work as a command line, but maybe some
command line tool exists.

Raphael