IBM 120 G IDE -- problems

Mark Terribile materribile at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 7 20:16:19 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to add a 120G IDE drive, and FreeBSD
hangs during bootstrap.

My current storage configuration is
     3 SCSI drives on an Adaptec controller
     2 floppy drives (3+1/2 and 5+1/4 -- yes!) on
       the controller on the mobo (a Gigabyte
       GA-SINXP1394)
     1 Sony CD-ROM on the ATA 0 on the mobo, master
     1 Artec CD-RW on the ATA 1 on the mobo, master

This configuration works fine.

I tried to add the drive, an IBM (now Hitachi)
120G Deskstar, as a slave on the ATA 0 adaptor.
The BIOS recognizes is, but during bootstrap
I get a message saying that ATA 0 has timed out
on some kind of tagged operation, followed by
a message indicating a reset and three dots, and
no newline.  The bootstrap stops right here.

I've tried making the new drive the master, with
and without the CD-ROM, running that cable off the
other IDE interface, and replacing the cable, all
with no change.  I've even checked the voltages on
the board side of the power connector, and felt the
drive as it powers up (vibration suggests both
rotation and a few seeks).  I've got an Antec 420W
power supply, so there should be enough juice.

A drive problem seems unlikely; this was a new disk
sealed in silver mylar and I expect these drives
to be rock-solid.  (Should I doubt this?)

I'll be grateful for any help you can offer.  I'm
not a subscriber to the hardware list (but I did
search it for likely articles), so please reply
on freebsd-questions, or reply to me at
 materribile at yahoo.com  .

                                  Mark Terribile