routing problems (experience needed)

Harald Schmalzbauer h at schmalzbauer.de
Sun Sep 7 06:18:14 PDT 2003

On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:19, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to substitute our school's old Win NT4 Server by a
> SAMBA/FreeBSD. The SAMBA PDC itself works like a charm, but
> without the NT machine it can't be located from the different
> subnets - and so is quite useless.
>
> This is our network design:
>

>                  Internet
>
>                      ^
>
>               _______+_____
>
>               | DSL Router|  172.16.2.254
>
>               -------+-----
>
>               _______+____
>
>               |   Switch +--+
>
>               -+-+-+-+-+--  |
> _____________  | | | | |    +-----------+
>
> | PROXY FBSD|--+ | | | |                | 172.16.2.1
>
> -------------    | | | | ____________   +_________
> 172.16.2.11      | | | +-| SAMBA PDC|   | NT4 PDC|
>
>                  | | |   -----------    -------+--
>                  | | |   172.16.2.253          |
>                  | | |                     172.16.1.1
>
>             different subnets:                 |
>              172.16.3.                         |
>              172.16.4.                         |
>              172.16.5.                     172.16.2.
>                etc.                         subnet
>              (with routers and          (with switches)
>               switches)
>

> As I said: connections between the different subnets break as
> soon as the NT4 Server is plugged off.
> What can be done:
> 1) Change all machines to mask 255.255.0.0
>    - or would this end up in bad perfomance?
>    (We have about 35 workstations all over the house and the
>     number is growing)

I'm guessing your sunet currently is /24.
Don't consider any perfomance issues unless you have at least 100 workstations

> 2) Set up some kind of router (we have got some old P75 left)?

Well, if machine FOO=172.16.3.x/24 want's to communicate with machine
BAR=172.16.4.x/24 you WILL need a router in any case.

If you just want to have machined FOO and BAR communicate with
PDC=172.16.2.x/24 you could do some ARP tricks but I guess you have a router
in each subnet.

Now your problem is with WIndowsNameService (WINS)
You have to setup samba as a WINS server with local master and domain master
set. Then your clients need to get the DPC's IP as WINS Server. You can do
that with ISC's DHCP by adding the following option "netbios-name-servers
your.pdc-ip.or.name;"
Per definition in each subnet had to be another local master but I can
remember that if there are enough machines in each subnet, so that there is
alwas a masterbrowser online, it works without.

Hope this helps,

-Harry