vinum: no drives found && partitiontype=vinum ?

Simon Strandgaard qj5nd7l02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Sep 7 02:28:07 PDT 2003

one question; Why does vinum not start at system startup ?

At the bottom of my rc.conf file, I have added:
start_vinum="YES"

When I reboot the system, all I see in dmesg is:
vinum: no drives found

I can start it manualy:

server# vinum create config1
2 drives:
D a                     State: up       /dev/ad1s1c     A: 39166/39266
MB (99%)
D b                     State: up       /dev/ad2s1c     A: 229/329 MB
(69%)

1 volumes:
V reliable              State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:        100
MB

2 plexes:
P reliable.p0         C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        100
MB
P reliable.p1         C State: faulty   Subdisks:     1 Size:        100
MB

2 subdisks:
S reliable.p0.s0        State: up       D: a            Size:        100
MB
S reliable.p1.s0        State: empty    D: b            Size:        100
MB
server# vinum setstate up reliable.p1
server# vinum setstate up reliable.p1.s0
server#

server# cat config1
# Vinum configuration of server.neoneye.home, saved at Sat Sep  6
19:37:02 2003
drive a device /dev/ad1s1c
drive b device /dev/ad2s1c
volume reliable
plex name reliable.p0 org concat vol reliable
plex name reliable.p1 org concat vol reliable
sd name reliable.p0.s0 drive a plex reliable.p0 len 204800s driveoffset
265s plexoffset 0s
sd name reliable.p1.s0 drive b plex reliable.p1 len 204800s driveoffset
265s plexoffset 0s
server#

The partition types is 'vinum' for both slices.
BTW: these warnings makes me feel creepy :-)

server# disklabel /dev/ad1s1
# /dev/ad1s1:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 80418177        0     vinum                      # "raw" part,
don't edit
disklabel: partition c is not marked as unused!
disklabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard
system utilities
server# disklabel /dev/ad2s1
# /dev/ad2s1:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:   675393        0     vinum                      # "raw" part,
don't edit
disklabel: partition c is not marked as unused!
disklabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard
system utilities
server#

server# uname -a
FreeBSD server.neoneye.home 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jun
5 02:55:42 GMT 2003
root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
server#

--