FreeBSD install corrupts neighboring partitions

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 6 22:41:32 PDT 2003

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:21:15 -0700, paul beard <paulbeard at mac.com> wrote:

> Brett Glass wrote:
>> I'm attempting to install FreeBSD 4.8 on a system which will boot it
>> and also Windows 2000 Server. I've done this with two multiboot
>> utilities: the simple boot manager that comes with FreeBSD and V
>> Communications' System Commander.
>>
>> In both cases, I have found that when I install FreeBSD it corrupts
>> neighboring NTFS and FAT partitions. After the install, the OSes in
>> these partitions fail to boot or the partitions become entirely
>> unreadable. Whether I tell FreeBSD not to install an MBR or whether I
>> tell it to install its boot manager, the result is the same:
>> Neighboring partitions are being corrupted to the point where one can
>> not get to data on them.
>>
>> I realize that dual booting is not common, but I need to do it on this
>> laptop. Has anyone else on the lists encountered this problem?
>
> I have dual-booted this laptop (an IBM A20p) with Win2K and a succession
> of Linux, NetBSD, and FreeBSD. Other than the annoying problem of a
> couple years back when IBM chose to label its hibernation slice with the
> same ID as FreeBSD uses, thereby rendering FreeBSD unusable, it's worked
> just fine.
>
> Sounds to me like the partitions are overlapping or otherwise not being
> kept away from each other, but its hard to know for sure without any
> information off the system.

I've had many different multi-boot configurations involving FreeBSD 4.x
and 5.x versions, Windows 2000, Windows 98, Linux, and QNX on various hard
drives.  Currently FreeBSD and Windows 2000 share a RAID-0 array, while
Gentoo Linux and Windows 98 reside on a third disk.  Though I'm not
particularly tech-savvy, I have never had a single problem with FreeBSD or
Linux "corrupting" a Windows install.  I guess without more information,
we can't be certain that anything is corrupted; if it is, that FreeBSD is
doing the corrupting; or how whatever is wrong might be fixed.

Please send more info.

Jud