USB code doesn't permit bidirectional comunication with printers

Riccardo Torrini riccardo at torrini.org
Sat Sep 6 15:53:06 PDT 2003

I don't know if this is the right list, feel free to forward to any
other list or direct to USB maintainer if you think he can help me.
And please Cc: me, I'm only on current@

I have an USB printer (Epson C40ux), and it works like a charm but
currently I'm unable to ask ink level or align the head or obtaining
any other info using "escputil"

# pkg_info -W escputil
/usr/local/bin/escputil was installed by package gimp-print-4.2.5_1

This happens either with 4.8-STABLE than 5.1-CURRENT (Aug 22)

Are we going to improve ulpt code to support printer messaging?
Same problem with USB-UPS from APC (already asked some month ago,
see info on ftp://ftp.torrini.org/pub/FreeBSD/APC-hacking/, seems
that our USB code can only send and not receive info from USB
devices, is this correct?  Why Other-OSes can?  And how?

-----8<-----[ swtch on, /var/log/messages ]-----8<-----
Sep  7 00:39:47 silos /kernel: ulpt0: EPSON USB Printer, \
	rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3, iclass 7/1
-----8<-----

# escputil -q -u -r /dev/unlpt0 -m C40ux -s
Cannot read from /dev/unlpt0: Operation not supported by device

# escputil -q -u -r /dev/ulpt0 -i
Cannot read from /dev/ulpt0: Operation not supported by device

# usbdevs -d
addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
  uhub0
 addr 3: USB Printer, EPSON
   ulpt0
 addr 2: Back-UPS RS 500 FW:30.j2.I USB FW:j2, American Power Conversion
   uhid0

# usbdevs -d -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), VIA(0x0000), \
	rev 1.00
  uhub0
 port 1 addr 3: self powered, config 1, USB Printer(0x0005), \
	EPSON(0x04b8), rev 1.00
   ulpt0
 port 2 addr 2: low speed, self powered, config 1, Back-UPS RS 500 \
	FW:30.j2.I USB FW:j2(0x0002), \
	American Power Conversion(0x051d), rev 0.06
   uhid0

--
TIA,
Riccardo.