host and hostname

Rommel B. Ikeda r_ikeda at oisca.org
Sat Sep 6 01:31:48 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "horio shoichi" <bugsgrief at bugsgrief.net>
To: "Rommel B. Ikeda" <r_ikeda at oisca.org>
Cc: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 9:01 PM
Subject: Re: host and hostname

> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:46:25 +0900
> "Rommel B. Ikeda" <r_ikeda at oisca.org> wrote:
> > Thanks very much for the reply, my apologies for not replying so
soon....

> > Actually, I posted my question on "host and hostname", because, I have
been
> > trying to find out if my Internet Settings is correct or not...I am
having
> > problems with cvsup for a very long long time now...
> >
> > Actually, I did tried:
> > # host freebsd.org
> > Host not found, Try again
> >
> > I know that their is something wrong with our internet connection in our
> > company...but, I do not think that the person in-charge of our Computer
Room
> > can help me...Unfortunately, Although we are an NGO, Nobody knows about
> > FreeBSD yet in our Organization...
> >
> > Anyways, about my comments on "Can someone point me to some information
> > about it aside from the man
> > pages...", I do read the man pages, everytime, but on the time that I
was
> > reading about the "host and hostname", I was a little in a hurry and
those
> > technical terms just made my head ached so, I though maybe I would ask
> > everybody, just for this time...My head was really full with the
problems I
> > have with cvsup...
> >
> > Thanks anyway...
> >
> > Rommel B. Ikeda
> > OISCA-International
> > http://www.oisca.org/
>
> Looks like you don't have /etc/resolv.conf file.
>

> The content would be like this, assuming your site has no other name
servers:

> domain oisca.org
> nameserver 164.46.1.1
> nameserver 211.10.162.68
>

> BTW, the nameservers are taken from whois database for oisca.org.
>
>    NS1.FIRSTSERVER.NE.JP        164.46.1.1
>    NS2.FIRSTSERVER.NE.JP        211.10.162.68
>

> horio shoichi

Thank you very much for the reply and also for looking up our nameserver...I
tried to find out  this numbers but I was told that our ISP dynamically
provides us this numbers...So, if I will be using the nameserver that can be
found in our Server Machine...when it disconnects...it will use a new
nameserver dynamically provided by our ISP...That is what I was told...

I just received an Email from the Mailing List advicing me to create a
/etc/resolv.conf...
He was also kind enough to provide me our DNS...
domain oisca.org
nameserver 164.46.1.1
nameserver 211.10.162.68

I created a /etc/resolv.conf with this one as what you have suggested
When my system starts:
The booting process halts for a few minutes saying
"continuing vi sessions:"
and then boots and starts gdm...
after gdm starts, I can log in but I can use my built-in mouse...
after logging in...it halts for a few minutes before I can use my built-in
mouse...
when i invoked this command:
# host freebsd.org
halts for a few minutes to read and then...
#host not found, try again

Any suggestions on what happened...
I would really appreciate it....Thank you...

Rommel B. Ikeda