mplayer one last time :(

Matthew Emmerton matt at compar.com
Fri Sep 5 21:37:36 PDT 2003

[ corrected top-posting ]

> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:25:52 -0500, Dan Nelson wrote
> > In the last episode (Sep 05), Monah Baki said:
> > > Hi, sorry for being ignorant, but I don't want to switch to another
> > > OS if freebsd can do the job.
> > >
> > > Based on the advices I installed the following on Freebsd 5.1:
> > >
> > > multimedia/openquicktime
> > > multimedia/mplayer
> > > www/mplayer-plugin
> > > www/mozilla (1.4)
> > > www/mplayer-fonts
> > >
> > > Still can't get mplayer working. I have all the required ports
> > > installed based on what the freebsd.com/ports website said, I can't
> > > think of anything else, I'm completely lost here.
> >
> > "Can't get mplayer working" meaning what?  Got an error message?
> >
> > --
> > Dan Nelson
> > dnelson at allantgroup.com

> When I choose a trailer I get the following error message on my xterm:
>
> To get best performance recompile mplayer
with --disable-runtime-cpudetection
> Reading config file /usr/local/share/mplayer/mplayer.conf: no such file or
directory
> Reading config file /root/.mplayer/config
> reading /root/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open /root/.mplayer/codecs.conf:
no such file or
> directory
> reading /usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf: 50 audio & 136 video codecs
> can't load font bitmap: arpi_osd_a.raw
> can't load font bitmap: arpi_osd_a.raw
> Audio extra header: len=92 fcc=0x77617665
> win32 libquicktime loader (c) Sascha Sommer
> Standard init done you may now call supported functions
> loader_init DONE???
> loader_init DONE!
> external func COMCTL32.dll:17
> external func COMCTL32.dll:16
> Quicktime6 DLLs found
> QuickTime.qts patched !!! old entry=0x6693b330
> theQuickTimeDispatcher catched ->0x6693b330
> Win32 warning Accessed uninitialized Critical section (0x66bc4210)!
> Warning invalid Ptr Handle
> Win32 warning Accessed uninitialized Critical section (0x66bc41f8)!
>
> I couldn't find on my system "mplayer.conf" nor "arpi_osd_a.raw". I did a
default install of
> mplayer, did not modify anything.

I personally debugged a problem just like this one which turned out to be
caused by mplayer not recognizing my Intel CPU properly.  It fed the wrong
CPU information to the QuickTime 6 DLLs which caused them to crash just like
this.

The version in the FreeBSD ports collection is 0.90rc3, and my patches are
in the ports tree (not part of the main mplayer code yet.)

What version are you using?

--
Matt Emmerton