CUPS, foomatic-rip, 4.8 RELEASE (was: How to get CUPS to work)

Todd Stephens tbstep at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Sep 5 14:50:21 PDT 2003

On Friday 05 September 2003 02:39 pm, Mark Terribile wrote:
> > ... but here are the ADDITIONAL things I had to
> > do to get the cups port/package working properly
> > under FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE: (This may not all be
> > necessary under 4.8-RELEASE. YMMV.)
>
> Ah, yes.  I think I forgot to add that I had to
> change the  lpd_program  variable in  /etc/rc.conf :
>
> /etc/rc.conf:lpd_program="/usr/local/sbin/cupsd"
>  # path to lpd, if you want a different one.

I did not have to do that on my 4.8 system.  I can get my Epson C82 to
work with the stock gimp-print driver, but for some reason I can't get
it to work with the ppd-o-matic generated "foomatic-rip" driver combo
from linuxprinting.org.  From what I understand, foomatic-rip is a perl
script, so it should not be platform specific to Linux.  While I am
somewhat satisfied with the stock gimp-print driver, the foomatic-rip
script really cleans up the print much better.  I've noticed quite a
few kerning problems with TT fonts without it.  Does anyone have this
specific combination working?  If so, where should the foomatic-rip
and/or foomatic-gswrapper scripts be placed?  Should I set owner to
root:daemon?  I'll keep trying with it in the meantime.

--
Todd Stephens