Two X sessions on one machine???

Peder Blom peder.blom at bredband.net
Fri Sep 5 05:34:32 PDT 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:44:20 -0400
Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd at keyslapper.org> wrote:

> There are a hundred other questions, like how do you get an xsession
> to start different WMs or even different configurations of the same WM
> based on the display?

I have a number of .xinitrc versions to start different WMs, like
.xinitrc_fluxbox, .xinitrc_gnome and so on. To switch WM I symlink
.xinitrc to the version I want, and then do a startx from the command
line.

I guess this approach can be extended to symlink WM (and other) config
files to different configurations depending on the value of $DISPLAY.

BTW, an alternativ way to start up an xsession on screen N using
terminal xx is:

startx -- :N vtxx

Personally I don't see much use in starting several WMs at the same
time, but it comes in handy when having to deal with "FreeBSD is not
ready for the desktop"-people. Can you do this on windows? :-)