Undo MBR

Paul Murphy pnmurphy at cogeco.ca
Thu Sep 4 14:13:52 PDT 2003

 Thanks for the replies.

>  I have just installed FBSD-CURRENT on a test box. During install I
[etc]

> So, if there is nothing to be lost, just try it out and see what
> happens.  Smoke testing is a tried and true technique.

 Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

> You kind of have to read the disklabel man page in conjunction with
> the fdisk man page to make any sense of things, and then it may still
> take some experimenting.

 Yes I think that's where I got my previous command line from (or
someplace similar) although the example I read said 'count=15' vs.
'count=32'

> If you have a bootable DOS disk with fdisk, you can clear the MBR
> without destroying partitions by executing:
>
> fdisk /mbr

 I did know that, I just wanted to do it The FreeBSD Way(tm).

> corresponding switches/parameters, but the questioner said there was
> nothing to save on the disk

 Yes

> and wanted to wipe it, so...

 Not necessarily, if I could do it without (potentially) destroying any
data, that would be the ideal solution (for future reference).

--
Cogeco ergo sum