how to run a program as a daemon

David Banning david+dated+1063050181.812806 at skytracker.ca
Wed Sep 3 12:43:05 PDT 2003

I am running tmda-ofmipd for my smtp server and occasionally
it dies. I wonder how I could set it up to run so that if it
dies for some reason, it will start up again. Right now, it
starts in my rc.local like so;

/usr/local/bin/tmda-ofmipd  -R imap://localhost -u tofmipd

The only way I can think of doing it is to set up a crontab
entry to a program that would check if it is still running,
and if it is not, then have it start it again.

I was hoping there is an easier way, maybe by putting it in inetd.conf
or something...