Problems with network cards

Chris Fisichella research at microcalorimetry.com
Tue Sep 2 18:16:19 PDT 2003

Hi,

I am coming from the worlds of AIX and macintosh. As a result, I have little
knowledge about x86 boxes.

I installed a 4.4-release after a few tries. I am having some problems
with networking.

I have a Pentium/P54C (133.64-MHz 586-class CPU) with 32MB of real memory.

My first card was made by SMC (8013WC). Apparently, FreeBSD does not support
this card. So, I went out and picked one from the list of supported hardware.

This next card was a 3COM 3C595 Fast Etherlink III PCI - port 0x6000 -
0x601f irq 9 at device 17.0 on pci0.

The boot program says "disable 'auto select' with DOS util!
address 00:a0:24:c8:74:e8
driver is using old-style compatibility shims.

Well, this card does not seem to work. I have not had a chance to really
trouble-shoot the card since I am brand-new to FreeBSD and was hoping this
install would be a little less time consuming. I'm not bashing FreeBSD, by the
way. I just don't know the ropes yet.

OK, here is my question:
1. Is there some network interface card that I can put in and will work?
Any recommendations?
I don't have an extra DOS machine to set up the 3COM card. If this proposed
card was available at a store, that would be good. It's hard to look at
the supported hardware list to see whether it will need changes to the
firmware, or whether it is jumper-selectable.

Thanks for your time and I hope I will be able to return the favor some day.

Regards,
Chris