20TB Storage System

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Sep 2 15:41:41 PDT 2003

In the last episode (Sep 02), Max Clark said:
> 2) What is the maximum size of a filesystem that I can present to the
> host OS using vinum/ccd? Am I limited anywhere that I am not aware
> of?

Depends on whether you plan on crashing or not :)  According to
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2003-July/000181.html,
you may not want to create filesystems over 3TB if you want fsck to
succeed.  I don't know if that's using the default newfs settings
(which would create an insane number of inodes), though.

> 3) Could I put all 20TB on one system, or will I need two to sustain
> the IO required?

To sustain only 30MByte/s across the entire set?  Doesn't really
matter, since even a single disk could do that.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com